Friday, September 9, 2011

Monterey Market and Berkeley Horticultural Nursery

Monterey Market Sunflowers, ink & watercolor, 5x7"
Monterey Market Sunflowers, ink & watercolor, 7x5"

We met at North Berkeley's Monterey Market to sketch just before the produce store was closing. While the rest of the group sketched inside the market, I stood in the parking lot and sketched the buckets of sunflowers, using a handy shopping cart as my table.

Berkeley Horticultural Nursery, ink & watercolor, 7x5"
Berkeley Horticultural Nursery, ink & watercolor, 7x5"
Then I walked around the block to the entrance of Berkeley Horticultural Nursery where I saw this crazy Dr. Seuss-like plant along their fence and had to sketch it. Each fuzzy orange-red flower grows out of a stalk that comes up from the flower below it. I called them the next day and found out it is a Leonitus Lenorius or "Lion's Tail," a drought-resistant, sun-loving plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!